06 November 2008

3rd WEEK: LEARNING TO TEACH

Since I have almost done all the observations, this week I have focused on my 3th of ESO class, unfortunately on Thursday they had a trip, so I just could be with them on Monday and Wednesday.

I was impressed by how quickly my tutor was doing the unit they were supposed to continue on Monday, she explained to me that she wanted to finish unit 3 the sooner the better, so that I could start with them Unit 4 and have more time for my didactic unit. By the way, finally I won’t do my didactic unit about Physical Education, I’d rather choosing another subject that motivates them and motivates me, because Physical Education it’s a funny subject but when you practise it, not when you study it, or at least that’s what I thought when I was a teenager, I still have to decide what would be my Didactic Unit about, I need to think about it.

Although 10 o'clock is not a good hour, they did a lot of things: past continuous, some adverbs, and also a listening about a robbery. These kids don't write down in their notebook anything unless you tell them, they pay attention, they look at the blackboard and read the sentences or vocabulary that the teacher writes, but they forget to write it down for themselves if you don't tell them... I have also realized that it is very important where children are sitting since it has a considerable influence on the development of the class. From now on, "K", the little clown (I say it affectionately), doesn’t sit near the teacher, but at the back of the class, and guess who sits behind him? Little chatterbox number 1, I don't understand the reason of this change because it is not making any improve, quite the opposite, “K” distracted some other students who usually paid attention. I think that when I start with my didactic unit, I will ask my tutor to change them again and sit them where they sat before: near the teacher’s table. The last 15 minutes, Nuria decided to talk a bit about Halloween and La Castañada (what we and they do and eat) in order to give them some new vocabulary.

In 2BAT Nuria gave them an extra sheet about complex modal verbs, some translations and some fill in the blanks. It was amazing how different were their levels, by the time 2 girls had almost finished, the rest of the class had just started translating sentence number 2 and about students had almost no idea about what they had to do or how to do it. I can’t understand how these kids can pass from 1BAT to 2BAT, cos I mean, it is not the same as passing from 4thESO to 1st BAT… Nuria told us that they would get stuck in 2BAT, or maybe they would try to do their best on the other subjects (copying or doing whatever) and they would hope to pass 2BAT if there is just one subject, in this case, English, which they are not good at.


On Tuesday, I did another activity with my class as you can see in the picture, in this case: a listening from the book. Nuria told me that it would be a good idea to read first the questions they would have to answer before they listened to it because they will know the pronunciation of some words. Doing this activity, I realized how important is to know students’ names, I mean… I already knew that was important and I knew some of their names but when I tried to do the questions about the listening I just could remember two of them: little clown and little chatterbox (by the way, don’t take this as an insult, I know they just like to make jokes and chat, but as I cannot use their real names…). I thought that “M” may knew the answer, as it was a very easy one, but he demonstrated that he was not paying attention, or he may didn't understand the listening, I don't know. And I knew for sure that “K” would not say the right answer, even if he knew it he would say the opposite, in order to make his classmates laugh. Luckily, after these two questions they all started saying the answers at once, so it was much better. Fran recorded me while I was doing the activity: I have to improve a lot of things, I’m constantly saying emmmmmmmmm errrrrrrrrrrrr, I still have to speak louder and my tutor said to me that I need to gesticulate more, I know body language is very important, but when I’m in front of these teenagers I just forget, so I will have to work on it. It was a great idea to bring the camera, I could see myself in action and, above all, it will help me to improve and learn from my mistakes. By the way, in order the solve the problem with the names, my tutor asked the students to write their names on a paper for the next class.

No comments: